Mala Shop

Monday, April 23, 2012

The blog post that got away AND World Book Night 2012




Last week I wrote a lovely (to me), heartfelt post after I saw His Holiness the Dalai Lama at USD in San Diego.  I quoted him from my notes talking about compassion, patience, and above all optimism.

Today, all things being impermanent, I accidentally hit delete on that post.  It's gone for-ever.
Say that like a Real Housewife from New Jersey: "For - Evah!"


So trust me, it was a lovely and heartfelt post about a life-changing event.  I can only say, he's coming to a town near you this spring, and please don't miss him! I'm reading his newest book "Beyond Religion" right now and it's right on.  Spot on.


Today at the coffee shop (Pannikin, Leucadia shout out goes here) I saw a paperback book in the free newspapers and magazines pile.  Three copies of "The Absolutely True Story of a Part-time Indian" by Sherman Alexie, actually. Well printed.  I picked one up and saw the National Book Award emblem on the cover.  Hmmm...these weren't just author-printed freebies, which are great enough.  These were part of the "WorldBook Night".


A little research over coffee came up with the info that volunteers are TODAY giving out copies of about 15 books, which the authors agreed not to be paid royalties for and the publishers created low-cost editions of.


I know, never end a sentence with a preposition.  Sorry.


These copies will be given out at hospitals, homeless shelters, bus stops, juvenile detention centers, even coffee shops today, April 23, 2012.


Is this not a joyous event?  A wonderful day?  Yes, it is.


Enjoy it.  Read a book.  Start two and read them both slowly.  Read a really good one fast.  Next to meditation, I think there's no better way to make thoughts disappear and seem smaller and farther away.


Viva le book!  (Someone can translate that into French for me - I have to go make malas.)

1 comment:

elsiee said...

impermanence... the state we love to hate!