Mala Shop

Monday, December 19, 2011

A Pause to Discuss Fruitcake

I just have to take a moment to talk about fruitcake.

Not that loaf that you can get from the supermarket, saturated with corn syrup and preservatives, full of candied cherries and green jellied citrus. That's not what I mean at all.

Here's a photo of what I think of when I say "fruitcake":

 Dark Fruitcake from Fannie Farmer,  borrowed from "The Family Kitchen" Blog

When I was about eight, my mother let me at a fruitcake recipe. I put in about five pounds of dried fruit, and it was so hard to stir! With a little help from her I lined the bundt cake pan with brown paper.  I overcooked it a little, but to me it was the most delicious thing in the world! And mom loved it unconditionally, as she loved me and my sister.

I suppose there's enough southern blood left on that side of the family to make fruitcake, swiss chard, and grits almost biologically attractive.


I don't understand the universal dislike of fruitcake in the United States!


Please, someone, write to me and tell me that you, too, love the rich, moist, rum-infused yumminess that is fruitcake.


Since I've been up to my ears in mala-making, I haven't gotten past buying the luscious dried fruit for my intended fruitcake.  This happens more often than not, year after year.  Best intentions but little actual time to cook. But I think it will be fine to make it in the New Year, wrap it for a couple of months, dousing it in liquor now and then, and wait until late spring to eat it. I really want to!

Bless all moms and dads who let eight-year-olds into the kitchen to make huge messes and create the unusual.

Have a very happy holiday, whatever you do!








6 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Christmas isn't Christmas in New Zealand with out fruit cake! I looooove it - although I'll add a condition to that. I don't like the very rich, dense, heavily alcoholic fruit cake. I like a light fruit cake that isn't too stodgy.

I wonder what would convince an eight year old girl she needed to make a fruit cake? Cool that your mum was so supportive of you doing that. It obviously made an impression on you!

Laura said...

I'm glad people in New Zealand enjoy their fruitcake. I think it's an American thing to ridicule it.

I was born loving it. I don't know why!

Peace,
Laura

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize your family is also from the South. My parents, from Louisiana and North Florida, love fruitcake. Now that I finally got my natural gas (i.e. expensive) range hooked up I may make one - I try to avoid white sugar and minimize the white flour in my life so I usualy have to make my own baked goods. I like fruitcake but I'm more partial to the first holiday treat I ever made, a date nut bread from an old Betty Crocker cookbook. I had an Austrian friend who asked me once, "who is Betty Crocker? Is she like Martha Stewart? Does she have a show?". Happy holidays!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I forgot to sign my post - happy holidays from Jenna

roy said...

Dear Laura,

Thanks for the light.

Thanks for the positive vibes.

Thanks for the informative posts.

Thanks for the beautiful pictures.

Thank you for another year of HoCM!!


Sincerely,

- roy.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I love fruitcake
Your Kind
Thank you for being so patient with me and repairing my bracelet.
Special Blessings
I send to you.
Love, E...