Mala Shop

Thursday, February 3, 2011

JoyousWorld



I found Joyce of JoyousWorld in the Etsy forums and was attracted by the simplicity and beauty of her jewelry designs. And how could a shopkeeper called "compassion" anything stay away from a shop called "joyous"? I’ve gradually collected quite a treasure chest of her earrings and necklaces. She’s made replacements for lost earrings and custom designs for me. I’ve given her work to my sister and friends; I absolutely love it! Read on as she tells about her inspiration.


Q: How long have you been making jewelry? How did you start? What inspires you? What else do you enjoy when you aren't making jewelry?


Joyce: I have been making jewelry off and on for decades... I recently found a

pair of earrings I made when I was about 12 out of some kind of

industrial wire and wooden beads. I've had a lot of creative interests

all my life and I have made things out of necessity and desire. When I

would see something that inspired me .... whether it was clothing , a

craft item or jewelry.... I would attempt to create my own take of the

inspiration, rather than go out and buy it. Sometimes it would be

wonderful and sometimes not . .... but always it came from a pleasant

place within. (hence my joyous world)

My inspiration , most of the time, comes from my love of vintage

items.... Items that have age and beauty also have interesting character

and a history. My emotions are inspirational and are always very close to

the surface, and beautiful things inspire me ... the tangible as well as

the intangible..

In addition to making jewelry .... I also have a long list of things I enjoy doing. Just a few are....

Gardening and the plant world ... It intrigues and interests me almost as much as jewelry. I worked for many years in a green house, and was able

to be very creative working with plants. I love antiquing and spending hours getting lost in interesting places full of items living a long life. I love family time with my hubby of 29 years and my young adult son and daughter, and my extended family and close friends... either all together or individually... it is strengthening for me to spend time with my loved ones.... especially those that love me unconditionally...


Q: Can you say what techniques and materials are your favorites for jewelry making? And a bit about your silver smithing?


Joyce: I have a desire to always be learning and improving so I took up

silversmithing again about a year ago. It is currently my favorite thing to do. . My projects start with an idea, but elements of the design often may change during the process. I like to play it by ear and let the creation evolve .

My material of choice is vintage sterling silver. I scour the antique and thrift stores for old sterling silverware, chains, old jewelry. Anything that catches my eye and sparks ideas for using the parts and pieces in a

new piece of jewelry. Then I set out sawing and cutting things apart and

soldering together.... in a different and new piece.

With the beauty of the antique patterns in the silver and the timeless

quality of the metal , I am happy to create something new with a previous history.


Q: Do you have any words of wisdom that you’d like to share?


Joyce: My words of wisdom... have been said before many times... "stay true to

yourself," and I will add ; when you are true to your self and follow your own dreams and wishes....this is when there is the potential for happiness.


Thank you, Joyce!

And may all of you have a joyous world today.


I'd love to hear your comments about Joyce's work and inspirations.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Joyce's shop is WONDERFUL! I really resonate with her use of old & new materials! Her mix of jewelry & ways to display & store jewelry makes for a great combination. Her wise words of staying to to one's vision are a great reminder. To thine own self be true... :o) Great interview--thank you for sharing about Joyce & her work. Happy Day! P.S. you are wondering about a link to my shop: http://pranalight.etsy.com/ I'm just starting to get offerings listed!

Laura said...

Thanks for your comment, Tracy! Yes, Joyce's work is really beautiful and inspiring to me.

Thanks to all of you who dropped by and read, too. It's nice to be able to share.

One Woman's Journey said...

Beautiful items - I love vintage jewelry...

Joyce said...

Thank you Laura for thinking of me to feature in your blog, and to all who visited my shop Joyousworld.
I feel very fortunate to be able to have the time and desire to pursue my interests and to share them with the world as I follow my heart and express myself through my creations.

Laura said...

Joyce, I'm so glad you shared your thoughts and photos with you.

All the best! Much love.