Mala Shop

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

THE Cure for Holiday Blues-Goodnight My Someone from The Music Man



I'm sure everyone has their own cures for too much fruitcake, not enough exercise, and the pressures that inevitably come with a favorite holiday...

Here's one of mine. Last week when my mala shop got blessedly over-busy, and everything else I needed to do piled up so much that I kind of, yes, gave up, I put the soundtrack to The Music Man on while I was working.

I'd put on a bead, listen to "Pick a little", make a tassel and listen to "Lida Rose-Will I Ever Tell You", and the stress just drained right out of my brain and my fingers.

It brings back such good family memories to listen to this corny but gorgeous soundtrack. I'm sure there's deep significance, but I haven't analyzed it. All I know is that I love it and it keeps me in my happy place.

I'd love to hear what music does it for you!
Blessings, all.
Laura

4 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

When I was a student I cleaned houses to make money. I hated it. The only thing that made it enjoyable for me was listening to The Messiah, by Handel. I'd take along my CD to whichever house I was cleaning, pop it in the CD player and turn it up loud. I was in a choir at the time, and we'd sung The Messiah, so I would belt out the alto part for all the anthems.

Obviously, the people I was cleaning for weren't there at the time ...

Also, when I'm suffering from winter blues, I listen to Australian band Midnight Oil. Their music instantly transports me to summer.

B Harrison Arts said...

I love to listen to opera and create. It is VERY relaxing to me.

Jenna said...

I hate to be low-brow, but at Christmas time I have to watch "White Christmas" at least once (usually more). This was my family's Christmas movie, for better or worse, so I watch it every year. This year was a particularly bad holiday for me, so Betty, Judy, Bob and Phil got plenty of exercise!

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

I am a gal that loves musicals, too, Laura. Another way we are kindred. I just wanted to say that I love the look of your new blog. It is stunning! xo