Mala Shop

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Loving This Novel...


The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall

I am loving this book so much that I frequently find myself unable to put it down. There were long stretches of time last week (on vacation) when I was glued to it for chapter after chapter. I. Could. Not. Stop. I'm not going to tell you about it, just recommend that you buy, borrow, or download a copy! (Please don't steal!)

Brady Udall's great-great grandparents were Mormon polygamists and he comes from the great political family that included his great uncle, congressman and presidential candidate Morris Udall. He has written a thoroughly entertaining, thought-provoking novel about contemporary polygamists that isn't sensational in the least.

Last week's vacation was through Southern Utah and Northern Arizona. When I go anywhere, I read about the history and current events of that place. In Fiji I became fascinated by the history of those previously-named "Cannibal Islands" and in Southern Utah, I read about Mormon history.

I suppose if I went to the South Pole I'd read about Shackleton's explorations, but for now I only seem to go to hot places.

Why, oh why wasn't history this interesting in school?

2 comments:

M.M.E. said...

I agree. History is more interesting when we read it for ourselves instead of being forced to read it. It sounds like a great book.

elsiee said...

Hmmmm going on Amazon next! This book seems like it might just tide me over until the new season of BIG LOVE starts - I am fascinated by polygamy!