Mala Shop

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

And the winner is...



This Turquoise, Lapis, and Cinnabar Wrist Mala and...

Me! For the most uninspired blog writing of the week! Eight days with no entries.
I'm sorry, I read somewhere that you're "supposed" to write everyday. That will never happen. I do aim for twice a week. It all depends on what's on my camera and how quickly I transfer it to my laptop.

Right now there are simply gorgeous, awe-inspiring, life-altering photos from my recent vacation at Zion National Park and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. But I've been, well, doing things. Important things. I can't think of what they were, but the time has sort of drifted by. So this note is a teaser, a hint of things to come. Because I really do want to show you those pictures.

In the meantime, here is a photo of a turquoise wrist mala with lapis lazuli and a red cinnabar bead. Cinnabar, not Cinnibun. Cinnabar is made of coats and coats of lacquer. It's quite beautiful and reminds me of a white, lacquer lamp with scenes from China that my family had when I was a child. It resonates with me and I'd like to find more of it to use in my malas. It whispers of the past, when Asia was called The Orient.

This mala was a special gift from one sister to another. Turquoise is supposed to aid spiritual connection and communication, and lapis lazuli is good for meditation and connection to the divine. My friend Chris designed it and it really shows her love of color. Should I replicate it for my shop or should it be a one-of-a-kind? I'm not sure right now. Chris wants me to make more.

Be happy, be well. If it's gray out, make your own sunshine. If it's too hot, create a gentle inner breeze. Stay cool, calm, and happy, if at all possible! And if you can't, try try try again.

Laura

2 comments:

Jan said...

This is a stunning mala, Laura, really! I love the contrasting colors and the spiritual energy. Yes, I vote for you making them. As for blogging, honor your heart and your rhythm. Eliminate the shoulds too! Love your ending blessing to us. I will definitely try!

elsiee said...

MORE! I want one!! :) seriously...