Mala Shop

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Ash Cloud and Interdependence

The view of clean air and ocean from SRF Fellowship in Encinitas, California

Just a quick note about the ash cloud in Europe.
I've had one delivery slowdown because of the ash cloud in Europe, apparently. Boy, does this ever make you aware of how interconnected this world is! Something halfway around the world affects you, wherever you live, in so many ways.

I'm sure the delivery won't take too long, but I find it fascinating that the USPS told me that deliveries were stopped for a while and resumed on about April 22nd because of the cloud.
What else could they do? You can't fly in that stuff.

A few years ago, San Diego county had a second really bad fire. People from all over the county, thousands of people, were evacuated. Even those on the coast had to leave. The feeling of disruption is intense during times like this, and everyone has lots of extra adrenaline. It was a very good time to pray and meditate, and I felt especially close to the Buddhas and my teacher during that time.

I guess the point of this post is that I send lots of love to that region and the people living there. I hope that the air quality isn't causing too much suffering for those with asthma, COPD, and other lung conditions.

And it just goes to show you, it's easier to relate to other's problems when they affect you in some way directly. Which is kind of sad, isn't it? But I guess otherwise, we'd all walk around feeling terrible all the time. How to let in enough empathy to feel connected with suffering without being overwhelmed? What Would Buddha Do? Or Say?

Bless those little packages on their way to waiting hands. Bless those hands

Amen.

3 comments:

Karin Grow said...

I was thinking the same thing.
One package delay and my sister's visit from Germany was close to being cancelled. The world is a whole lot smaller than I thought.

Laura said...

It sure is, Karin! I keep seeing that over and over, the shrinking world.

It's lovely to be able to (theoretically) be in Europe in a day, but strange when our packages are delayed and travel is slowed.

elsiee said...

and bless you for blessing them...