Mala Shop

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Springtime at the Self Realization Fellowship Gardens



Spring Flowers at Self Realization Fellowship—A Pilgrimage


It's been a while since I left my mala-making table and my busy life with family, to visit the gardens at the Self Realization Fellowship in Encinitas. A few weeks ago Jan, author of the Awake Is Good blog, posted some photos and comments about visiting there with journal in hand, to meditate and be at peace. I thought to myself "why am I not going there to sit under a tree? I live about 4 miles from it." It's a gorgeous place, usually full of meditators, families, and tourists who come to see the immaculately tended gardens kept in honor of Paramahansa Yogananda. It's always fun to see people on dates there. That would be a nice way to start a relationship, wouldn't it?

So I went with my camera. It was so refreshing to get out of the house and slowly walk the grounds, smilingly meeting peoople as we enjoyed the pond of giant koi and the flowers. Soooo peaceful. What great altruisum the monks have, to maintain this garden for the public.

I ended up half meditating, half dozing, beneath a large palm tree in the sun. Supposedly this was a place Yogananda enjoyed meditating at. If you go, it's right by the empty swimming pool he used to take a dip in. Another wonderful place to let go of your cares.

Sigh, it's so blessed there. Thank goodness for all the teachers and all the spiritual traditions. There are as many types of genuine teacher as there are sincere students.

Peace!

2 comments:

elsiee said...

oooooh I feel the peace...

maybe our NEXT date should be THERE!

for now the 27th works - hope it's still a GO for you too!

Laura said...

Looking forward to it, Elsiee. You name the place and time.

Peace to you!