Mala Shop

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Arghhh...Need More Water!



A Puddle in the Sierra Mountains

Arghh, It's hot in Southern California. Too hot for the grass to grow, especially when it's denied its usual water amount. We're on water rationing. Odd numbers are supposed to water on Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday, and even numbers are watering on Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Or something like that. I'm odd. My family can also never remember when we're supposed to water, so sometimes we don't. The good news is that water consumption in San Diego has dropped enormously. If you fly over it you see San Diego as the dry place it was before watered landscape, and the threat of wildfire is very visible.

I'm thinking of installing astro turf. But it doesn't cool down a yard. The other idea is a fluffy, durable ground cover. It's not a large yard, but it does give me that nice chill feeling when I'm meditating.

I've written through the year in my blog about how much I enjoy meditating outside. To be surrounded by space and sky, to see trees, birds, and the occasional mad ransacking border collie really opens my meditations. All the Buddhas and enlightened beings are there in the openness of the true nature of mind. And I'm sure that if I have their images in my mind (from gazing at paintings and drawings of them through the years) they appear spontaneously wherever I meditate. Or wherever anyone meditates, after all. And isn't that the point? To be able to invoke the embodiments of wisdom throughout the day, wherever we are? At Target, at the beach, and at the doctor's office? How often are we going to be really challenged at home in front of our shrines? Okay, I admit that's the most challenging place of all. But I mean the struggles of daily life need to be buffered by the presence of compassion and wisdom.

So I call upon the Buddhas in my dry Southern California backyard, with the bright blue sky above and the fading pink flowers of my tall hibiscus trees. The border collie chases around the yard, occasionally destroys a plant or cushion, comes to sit beside me for a moment, and she trains in quietness. My mind trains in equanimity and compassion. And all is good.

Peace! And if you get a second, leave a note for me about where you best like to meditate.
I did not want to post a photo of my dead lawn, so here is bend in a gentle creek in the Sierra Mountains. I can aspire to bringing its beauty into my yard eventually.

5 comments:

elsiee said...

hmmmmmm I'm still in search of my "best place" to meditate, but now I"m intrigued to try outside...

I'm more of a walking meditation girl...

Sunny Bower Art Studio said...

My best quite time is hanging up the laundry on the clothes line; no reason to run the dryer on these summer days.

I have a bench there and I sit quietly and meditate ...even if only for a few minutes. Then I watch the clouds go by and listen to the sounds of the birds in the trees or to a small plane go by over head.

The peace of those few minutes stays with me for the rest of the day.

Mare said...

I love to sit quietly on my deck or in my shade garden. I pray, meditate, connect with all that is around me. Which reminds me...i haven't done that in some time!

Jan said...

This is a great post, Laura, because this is what meditation is all about. Bringing our daily life to the cushion to get clear, to offer compassion to ourselves and others. I love meditating in my rocking chair on my porch facing the garden. I hear the bird calls around me and the breeze through the trees and I easily settle in, with gratitude in my heart for this lovely process and place to engage it.

I also love meditating/praying with the beautiful rosary mala you made me. And Sunim's prayers. Such a beautiful combination. It brings me such peace...

Yes, prayers for water too...

Laura said...

So lovely to read your responses, friends. For days I've been nourished by these little snapshots of you all enjoying your meditations, in your own place, in your own way.

How wonderful of you to leave these comments.

Peace,
Laura