Mala Shop

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sooo Happy Today-August 26th



It was twenty years ago today, in a small with 60 of our closest family and friends, that I married my best friend. In the intense heat we exchanged the promises that have kept us together: I let him surf whenever he wants, he lets me go to retreats and bookstores as needed. This foolproof marriage vow has meant that what he's into I support and what I'm into, he supports.

That's it for now. I just thought I'd pass along my little tip for a healthy marriage. Time ages the body, hardships age the mind, but the commitment to love and support another person and be their best friend goes on forever.

At least for another twenty years. Then maybe we'll have to renegotiate. At some distant point we'll be looking into assisted living and he'll have to support my efforts with a senior dance group or something. His surfing may turn into laps in the pool. But the principle remains the same—instead of obeying, we encourage. It seems to be working out pretty well so far.

6 comments:

elsiee said...

I whole heartedly agree with happy marriage = encourage NOT obey! Congratulations on you sweet long lasting love

Roy said...

Happy 20th Anniversary.

Coincidently - Today is our (Dorothy and me) 30th Anniversay.

Jan said...

Congratulations, Laura. 20 years is a major milestone! May your love continue to deepen and widen...Nice to see you and your beloved there. Lovely smiles and energy! xo Now I have a beautiful face to put with my mala.

Holly said...

Has it really been 20 years so soon? Well done you two. Love to you both.

Laura said...

Awww...that's so sweet. Thank you guys! I had a wonderful day yesterday with the man of my dreams.

Happy Anniversary to you too, Roy and Dorothy. 30 years is something to be grateful for.

Sunny Bower Art Studio said...

Dear Laura, wishing you both love, health, peace and happiness always!

Love and Light,
Sunny