Mala Shop

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Mothers and Mother Love



Lately I've been helping my mother a lot. She's the beautiful 1950s era debutante.

Mom's a woman of the 40s, 50s, and 60s. I hit my prime 25 years after her. We’re really different! Still, we've read a lot of the same books and we both like to dance to Harry Belafonte. She taught me to dance, paint, design, and play with color. All things change, though, and she's not dancing much anymore. She does the slow shuffle more than anything, and not by choice. I'm looking into day care facilities for her with my dad, hoping that will provide support and enrichment for her life. She has so many health problems: asthma, COPD, balance disorders, memory loss, etc.

I have learned over time about the power of positive thinking. Recently my 86-year-old friend underwent hip surgery and bounced right back afterwards. His wife says that the prayers of his friends were very powerful. He is too, but I’m sure the prayers helped! So I'm asking right now, can you say a little prayer for Mom? Her name is Betty. And if you don't pray, observe a moment of blessing her in whatever way you do best and most comfortably.

She believes in beauty and nature and love. I'm sure it will help her and Dad. And me and my sister, too.

There's another picture of my daughter and me, snuggling at a lunch date. That's just how we are. It's so good to have that daughter-love! I hope that I'm nice enough to her that someday she'll guide me gently towards having the care I need, aided by her brother, who I also love dearly.

And then there is the statue of Kuan Yin, the bodhisattva of compassion. She is related to Avalokiteshvara, who is the Tibetan bodhisattva of compassion, and to the Buddha Tara.

She loves us all and protects us from pain and suffering. She's especially invoked by women giving birth.

Wherever you are, have a nice day, do something creative and meaningful, take a breath now and then, and thanks for being there.

Love,

Laura


8 comments:

Jan said...

Laura,
I am so happy to be the first to comment on this poignant post. First, I will pray for your mother. I have written her name on a piece of paper and placed it on my altar. It will stay there for as long as you need it there. :-) She was (an is, I am sure) a lovely woman...

And so dear to see you and your daughter in a moment of intimacy. Both of you are lovely too! Mother-daughter love is the best.

And then Kwan Yin, I adore her (she needs to be in my garden too - LOL). She is a powerful protectress. May her presence enfold you all in comfort and ease.

Blessings!

elsiee said...

I'm holding your beautiful mother in my heart and you to my friend as you travel together in this difficult journey

Laura said...

Thank you, friends! It feels nice to have shared these photos and thoughts. I appreciate your good wishes.

xxxooo
Laura

Haley @ Iridescent Dark said...

My prayers are with you and your mother. Kwan Yin will surely envelope her in her compassion and healing heart.

Mare said...

I am so honored to start praying for your Mother. I will include her in my prayers and energy work every day, and place her name on my altar, right next to my statues of Kwan Yin,our Mother of Compassion and Mercy... Love to you my friend....mare

Mare said...

PS- i love that picture of you and your daughter. I can see the love between you both...

Thomas said...

Hi Laura,
I just read your facebook mobile post about your mom's surgery - I hope all is well and that her recovery is swift and complete.
Love - Thomas

Sunny Bower Art Studio said...

Dear Laura, I am sending a little prayer to the Angels for love and light to surround Betty right now. I will keep your Mother on my prayer list during Holy Rosary.

I have a small statue of Kwan Yin on my table. She's always a reminder of Peace to me.

Lots of love and light,
Sunny

By the way, that photo of your mother is so beautiful!