Mala Shop

Friday, August 21, 2009

Bead Show Day

Just back from Mammoth Lakes, California, where I tried to capture some of the beauty. Here's Devils Postpile. A lot of pressure built up in the earth and came up through a layer of basalt, causing hexagonal cracking. Quite amazing! It was a wonderful short vacation and I'm back at work filling orders in my Etsy shop.

Today's the twice-yearly visit to the local bead show. Aisles and aisles of your favorite gems, semi-precious beads, wood beads, and findings. I know right where I'm going and what to get for a couple of very special custom mala orders. I'll search for some 10 mm rainbow moonstone, some swirly new jade, some variegated carnelian (maybe I made that name up, but that's what I call it), and some more wood beads.

I'm creating some simple wood mala-bracelets for my Etsy shop. Wood has such a wholesome feel and beautiful look. I'm inspired by living through the 60s and 70s and the whole back-to-the-earth hippy era. They also have a slightly Rastafarian feel. I want these to be touchstones that draw people (like me) into mindfulness throughout the day, and beautiful little pieces of the earth to wear. I have some colored glass beads to use as guru beads. Here is one that I finished. It's made of walnut wood from a rosary supply shop.

That's it for now. I appreciate your stopping by, you're in my thoughts and prayers always (whoever you are), and thanks to my customers for your amazing support throughout this first year selling malas online.

Peace!

3 comments:

Mare said...

So glad to hear one of us made it to a bead show this year. I missed my big show while Bill was in the hospital...oh well, there is always next year, right?

elsiee said...

my local gem faire is next week, I get twitchy just thinking about it!! can't wait to see your new creations!!

Laura said...

Mare, a year is so long! Can you find one sooner?
Oh well, mail order is good too. I'm glad things are getting back to normal at home.

Elsie, you are going to need to buy lots of supplies for that big craft fair I just read that you're going to be in! And for ours in November.

Happy day, girls.