Mala Shop

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Faceted Garnet with Natural Amber, a study in contrasts

This faceted garnet wrist mala with natural amber to mark each 7th bead was such a joy to make. It was for a dear friend who's going on retreat, so it should get lots of good use this summer. The garnet is that hand-hewn kind of bead that has slightly different facets on each bead. I think this makes it more interesting. It definitely shows the mark of the crafts person in India who made them.

This has thirty five beads plus one extra large amber to serve as a "guru bead". The assymetry of the two beads in front is partly so you can feel the difference between them without looking.

Malas are so intriguing in their math, aren't they? People like to stay within the tradition of 108 or 111 beads, with variations of 54, 22, and 27. You can read explanations online. I'm not a completely traditional mala maker, though, because I believe that it isn't the number of beads as much as the intention with which they're used that is important.

Still, I respect tradition enormously. I'm happy to make custom malas in whatever configuration of beads someone needs.

I saw one mala online that has a thousand beads. That's wonderful!

5 comments:

elsiee said...

ooooooooooohhh that mala is stunning, will go work on reducing my coveting now...

Jan said...

So beautiful! I am still mulling over which bracelet to order from you. Too many lovely choices...sigh...

Laura said...

Thanks, Elsie and Jan!

Jan, I'm here whenever you need something. I'm in it for the long haul. No rush!

Take care :-)

Holly said...

So pretty. Sorry Laura, I haven't yet figured out how to attach a photo to my Google account. But I'll keep plugging along!

Laura said...

Yay! Holly represents.