Mala Shop

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Two Doves

Lama Yeshe's stupa at Vajrapani Institute, Santa Cruz, California.

*May all beings have happiness and be free of suffering.*

This morning in my backyard meditation time, my eye was drawn to two doves that flew to the fence and perched together.  Then they walked a few steps apart, then back together.  They were so peaceful that my mind instantly went to a quiet place.  I thought, "Hmmm...maybe they mean something about peace."  I've always liked doves.  They have such a still calmness to them, whether they're in flight or just sitting.

The rest of the day was pretty busy.  Then the news came about Farah Fawcett's death, and then a few hours later I heard of the passing of Michael Jackson.  It always takes me a while to know what to think.  Death seems like a change, from a Buddhist point of view, a migration of the mind.  A letting go of the body.  It's said to be full of the potential for enlightenment at the moment of death, so I don't immediately feel sadness.  The sadness has settled in as I've heard of the world's reaction and of those of the families.

Farrah was the embodiment of feminine sensuality and beauty when I was in high school.  She suffered so much in her later years but seemed to always be searching for her own truth.  Michael was always in the soundtrack of my life, not front and center, but always there.  He was obviously one of the most talented entertainers we've ever had. I'll leave it to others to memorialize them.  I will say my prayers for their smooth transition to the next lives.

Two birds, two sweet souls. May their creativity and perseverance inspire us.

2 comments:

Jan said...

I'm with you. I am not focusing on these two individuals as celebrities but as beings who had marvelous but difficult journeys. Now is the time to wish them well, hold them and their loved ones in compassion, as they navigate the beyond...May they be blessed. We will all go this route at anytime and it seems wise to keep this in mind, our lives as precious as they are.

Laura said...

Well said, Jan. It's so sad. Thank you for your comment.