Mala Shop

Monday, June 22, 2009

Google word verification-random or full of meaning? You decide.

Go to any blogspot and leave a message.  First you have to decipher some wavey red letters and type them into a little box, right?
I've noticed more and more that these letters have humorous similarity to real words. And the words are pretty funny.  For example, and this is a subtle one, unlike many I've seen lately, today while leaving a hello on spiegelhouse.blogspot, my entry to commenting was:

IMOLIG

Now how much does that sound like Immolate?  I ask you, is this a coincidence?  Really, there are better examples, but this is the one that I encountered today.

And another:

ANGLOGYN

Anglo people who drink gin.  Now how obvious is that one?

It makes me wonder, is this a random cycling of letters into passwords or is it really,
(obligatory drumroll) a purposeful attempt of google code writers to interject humor and even serious comment into our daily cyber-lives? I'm thinking that these people are deep observers of humanity.  They may even know our inner states as we attempt entry to blog comment areas. Although the theory breaks down here because I neither set myself on fire nor drink gin.

Okay, enough depth. Enough border-line conspiracy theory. I'm off to finish balancing the checkbook...

Chop wood, carry water.  Interluderetreat  explains the saying: "There is a Zen saying, 'Before Enlightenment chop wood carry water, after Enlightenment, chop wood carry water.' What’s the difference? The tasks are the same. The need is the same. What about the frame of mind? Who is chopping? Who is carrying water?"

So, after the enlightening experience, or even after meditation,  come the same old daily tasks.  Walk the dog, take out the trash, contemplate bodhichitta and world peace, wash the dishes, make the dinner. Read a blog, use a mala, pray a little, leave a blog comment.

All in a day's work.

Peace!

1 comment:

elsiee said...

I've noticed too... some are very clever but you've outdone yourself in your analysis, I'm impressed!!