Mala Shop

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Disney's Up is Deep and Wonderful, Really!

I'd heard there was a really funny dog in this Disney flick, so I went.  Didn't expect much, but it had me within the first five minutes.  
Disney's Up has a wonderful combination of things: a unique elderly hero, a cross-generational friendship, a cute dog, mythic story, and great animation (the 3-D is something I enjoyed at first and rapidly forgot about later, although for a while it was sooo beautiful).  I thought it was noble of Disney to create a believable elderly character with semi super-hero qualities.
I don't want to give away anything, but watching him drag his floating house by a garden hose reminded me of the Greek myth of Sisyphus.  Sisyphus was condemned to roll a huge boulder up a hill, watch it roll down again, and then roll it back up for the rest of eternity.

Kind of like life, you know?

There was so much symbolism in Up.  I think they came close to James and the Giant Peach and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with the depth in this very good film.

I cried, I laughed, I cried, I ate chocolate.  It was a great hour and a half.  You'd like it too. And the dog was hilarious and so true to dogness.

If you see it let me know what you thought.

Peace.

4 comments:

Mare said...

I've heard this was a great movie too. I'm in! I'll let you know what we thought. Thanks Laura!

RoyGoodwin said...

SQUIRREL!!!

Janet Spiegel said...

Hi Laura,

My husband loves the mala! Thankyou so much!

Janet

Janet Spiegel said...

I would love to be on your link list! Thankyou! I will add you to mine again when I put it back up.